Five first excellent disciples 五比丘／釋迦牟尼佛最初的五大弟子
- Kaundinya (Pal. Kondanna; Skt. Kauṇḍinya),
- Bhadrika (Pal. Bhaddiya; Skt. Bhadrika),
- Vashpa (Pal. Vappa; Skt. Vāṣpa or Dasabala Kasyapa),
- Mahanaman (Pal. Mahanama; Skt. Mahānāman), and
- Ashvajit (Pal. Assaji; Skt. Aśvajit).
They were Shakyamuni’s companions of ascetic for six years, until the one who was to become the Buddha abandoned this lifestyle seeing it was not the way. As a result of his backsliding his five companions turned away from him. Seven weeks after his reaching enlightenment the Buddha met them again in Sarnath. Though they pledged not to speak to him ever again because of what they considered his failure, awed by his presence they went up to him again and received his first teaching on the four noble truths at Deer Park. All eventually became arhats.