Quotation from the Sutra
- Bhagavan, bodhisattvas should not learn many teachings.
- Bhagavan, if bodhisattvas grasp and know one teaching, they will have all the Buddhas’ teachings in the palm of their hand.
- What is this one teaching?
- It is great compassion.
- Bhagavan, with great compassion all the Buddha’s teachings are in the bodhisattvas’ palm.
- For example, Bhagavan, wherever the precious wheel of a universal sovereign is, there also is the assembly of his battalions.
- Likewise, Bhagavan, wherever the bodhisattvas’ great compassion is, there are all the Buddha’s teachings.
- For example, Bhagavan, once there is a life force, all the other sensory faculties will exist.
- Bhagavan, similarly, once great compassion exists, all the other bodhisattvas’ qualities will appear.
- Quoted in Tsongkhapa’s Lamrim Chenmo, translated by Lamrim Chenmo Translation Committee, Volume 2, Published by Snow Lion, ISBN 1-55939-168-5
- Derge Kangyur vol. 65, ff. 1r-99v (pp. 1 – 198)